Thursday, 16 January 2014

Out with the old ...

I always feel a little bit sad when the last of the decorations and the Christmas china are put away for another year.


But then I think about the coming spring and all is well!

The paperwhite narcissi have just started to flower and the hyacinths and Tete a Tete daffs are not far behind. 



Trouble with paperwhites is that they flop all over the place, so I'm hoping that the twiggy nonsense I've stuck in with them will keep them a bit more upright.



The stripy blanket is growing; when I started this I was just randomly crocheting stripes, but now I've got to the middle I have a plan and hope to finish it soon. 



However, over the last week I've taken a little break from it and have been trying out some different grannies (the woolly kind, not the sweet little old lady kind). I fancy doing something with flowers, so had a go at one of the squares from Nicki Trench's Cute & Easy Crochet with Flowers, it was easier than I expected and now I can feel a 'Gypsy Queen Throw' in all its summery-looking loveliness coming on.



I have mixed feelings about the others. I quite like the circle-in-square or circle-in-hexagon as in the two on the left. These are both from Susan Pinner's Granny Squares. The two on the right are from Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans and I haven't done them justice at all (you can see what they should look like on pages 53 and 57). The one bottom right went decidedly frilly, which is a shame because the central circle looked lovely and then when I crocheted the square round the outside of it, it seemed to go horribly wrong. I might have another go, changing the way the square is formed around the circle.



Wishing everyone a happy and creative new year; a little late I know, it took me a while to get going - probably the chocolate, I think I ate record amounts of it over Christmas! 

Jane x


5 comments:

  1. I think your squares are lovely especially the hexie - I have been filling my window sills with containers of different bulbs hoping for some early spring colour. hope you have a good weekend Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your squares. I also have that Susan Pinner book and have found it very useful and am currently making the sofa/bed blanket. I really love your red and white ripple blanket! The two colours are so bold. People often use more colours in their ripple blankets so it's really nice to see one that's a bit different. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your squares are lovely, I like the soft muted colours you have used. I have that Jan Eaton book too but I have to admit I have hardly used it.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your granny selection Jane! especially the flower one, I think I may have forgotten how to crochet.
    wishing you a happy new week
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those granny squares Jane, a blanket will look spectacular! The red and white ripple one is growing fast now, and will be perfect any time of year.
    Good idea using the twiggy supports - my indoor daffs are flopping all over the place so I must go find a few twigs tomorrow and follow suit.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete